Jayden Szeto - Week 8 - The Importance of Extracurriculars in American Education

The Importance of Extracurriculars in American Education

Growing up, I had always heard stories about the intense academic focus in schools outside the U.S.—places where extracurricular activities were basically an afterthought, something students did not even have during their time in high school. My relatives who went to school in countries such as China painted a picture about a world where school was mainly about textbooks and tests. In their eyes, activities like sports, arts, or clubs were simply distractions from the “real” purpose of school; I mean, having extracurricular activities did not even help improve your chances of getting into a college. All you had to do was to do good on one test that would determine whether or not you got into a good college. 

Here in America, however, it's a different story. In my years in America, the end of the school day was not even the real end of the day; it was just a transition to another part of my education—extracurricular activities. Tennis, math classes, and volunteering were not just leisurely pursuits. They were part of my education, teaching me stuff that normal classrooms couldn’t. Starting a club to teach kids tennis, for example, taught me about teamwork, leadership, and creativity—lessons that I’ll probably carry along with me for the rest of my life. Also, you need a bunch of extracurricular activities to get into a good college, which is one of the main reasons why I am taking them. 

The contrast between the American emphasis on well-rounded education and the more academically focused education systems elsewhere is quite large. In China, the education system is focused on academic performance, mainly because of the competitiveness and high stakes associated with the college entrance exam, like the Gaokao. The Gaokao is known for its rigorous structure, covering a wide variety of subjects. For students, the preparation for this exam is the main focus of their high school years. This leaves little room for extracurriculars because colleges don’t even factor them into university admissions like they are factored in the U.S.


In the United States, however, college admissions are a lot more holistic. While academics are still crucial, American universities also place a lot of importance on a student’s extracurricular involvement. U.S. colleges usually look beyond just grades and test scores. They compare their applicants based on a lot of factors, such as leadership roles, participation in clubs and sports, volunteering, and hobbies and talents. This shows that they think education is more broad, valuing other experience and your own personal growth. They realize the value of extracurriculars because it develops skills such as leadership, teamwork, etc. These skills are really important in jobs and real life applications, and are seen as essential for a hardworking member of society. 

Both systems have their own strengths and weaknesses, and they cater to the different needs of their own country. I’m pretty sure that recently, schools in China have been adopting a similar method of college applications to the United States.


Comments

  1. Hi Jayden! The topic of your blog post is intriguing to me since it makes me wonder what my life would be like if I participated in a school system that focused more on academics than our current one does. It would certainly be tiring—as you said, the schools in China are focused, rigid, and rigorous—leaving little time for fun activities and hobbies. Yet, I hear stories about how the American school system often leaves its students years behind what international students are learning, implying that American schools’ increased focus on providing extracurricular activities leaves its students somewhat academically weak. Maybe this is the reason why American colleges focus so much on extracurricular activities—they know that the academics at our schools are often not rigorous enough by themselves. You bring up that a big reason you participate in many of your extracurricular activities is that the best American colleges basically require you to do them in order to have a chance of admission; I feel that many students at our school are in the same situation due to the overly competitive atmosphere in the Bay Area. Regardless, the structure of this blog post is well-organized and it helps make your message clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jayden, I really enjoy your blog and your comparison between the academic values of those in America versus other countries. Colleges placing emphasis on extracurricular activities can be a good thing, but it can also be negative. This importance on activities allows students to engage in things that they enjoy. For me, that activity is dance. I deeply enjoy dancing and I have developed it into leadership positions like being a teacher at my dance company and being captain of the school dance team. The positive part of extracurriculars is that it allows all kinds of people to be able to go to college and shape their future better. Many students have gone to college on sports scholarships, whether or not their grades are good. However, the emphasis on these activities can also be extremely stressful. Because colleges look at one’s performance outside of school as well, students must put a lot of effort into school and their extracurriculars, which places a lot of stress on their mental health. It can be extremely tiring and many students can lose a lot of sleep trying to manage both aspects of their life. Although there are two sides to the argument, I am glad that colleges care about extracurricular activities because it allows them to see what I excel and and love to do, not what I’m forced to do (schoolwork).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jayden, I found the topic of your blog post really compelling and relatable. The concept of extracurriculars is something I appreciate regarding the American educational system. From a young age, even before discovering the connection between extracurricular and college acceptance, I was always drawn to immersing myself in new environments and experiences. I had always felt this innate desire to explore every avenue and embrace the unknown. Branching out and taking on diverse experiences and “extracurriculars” not only allowed me to form connections and gain life lessons, but in many ways, it played a significant factor in shaping the person I am today. It is through exploration of unique avenues that I have discovered both my strength and weaknesses, as well as my genuine interests. I believe one common flaw in our competitive school environment, however, is that students often become so fixated on the foal of gaining admission to topc colleges that they fall into this cycle of piling up extracurriculars for the mere purpose of pleasing colleges, ultimately, draining them of their authentic meaningful nature and values.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jayden Szeto - Week 3 - Nature and Identity

Liya Abil- Week 5- Land of the Free

Liya Abil- Week 8- Approaching the Holidays