Jaiganesh Nagarajan - Week 4 - Is the way you act really how you identify?

     When you find yourself in a group (such as school or any large event), you may feel that you do not fit in with anyone. This will influence you to try and act like someone else or try to do anything just to please someone else. The more I grew up the more I realized that everything just felt artificial. There is no real emotion when you are just doing something to please someone. Everything you do or may feel feels fake and there's no real emotion to it.



(Istock image)
    You can relate to someone trying to fit into this puzzle. No matter how hard you push and wedge the piece into the missing hole, it will never truly be complete. In the same way, no matter how much you try to fit into another group where their personality is completely different from yours, your identity will never truly be like them; the hole will never be filled. The feeling of a fake identity works in a similar way. You can only say you are like  someone else but you can never truly be that person as we are all unique in many ways.

The identity of one can only be determined by filing in their own holes.

    As people try to find their own identity, they will fill in the missing pieces that will make them feel whole. The pieces that we make of ourselves is what our true identity is and is what people would rather see than someone who is trying to be like someone else.

Comments

  1. Hi Jaiganesh! It was really interesting to see how you connected the social and personal aspects of finding your identity. I can also relate to both portraying a fake identity and doing things that I wouldn’t normally do just to fit in. Your description of the scenario as “artificial” was really impactful and goes to show how these pursuits are just not worth it. I feel that sometimes, going through the motions to maintain relationships also applies to those I have thought I liked. Your blog, talking about how emotions and interests seem to run dry, highlighted to me the importance of deep and meaningful connections. This, along with powerful memories, can help friendships persevere through the short-term troubles. I also like your focus on finding identity and “filling the hole” in yourself. It’s not healthy to find personal identities in other people, as it brings strain and disappointment. The people one associate with and even their actions, although they take up much time, simply do not define that person’s identity. I like your emphasis on how the important thing is in how you view your own identity and define your character because when you invest time in improving and changing yourself, it stays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaiganesh, I can definitely relate to changing myself simply to fit in with others, and I believe a lot of other high schoolers feel the same way. Sometimes, there are people that I think are cooler than me so I end up hiding some of my personality to try and appeal to them more. However, I have been telling myself that I must get out of this mindset because if people cannot accept me for who I am, then it is not worth it to be their friend. It is extremely important to have people in your life that you can be the truest version of yourself with because by hiding and suppressing parts of yourself, you will end up losing your entire personality in the process. I really like the way you compared the feeling of not fitting in with others to a puzzle piece that doesn’t fit into the hole because it gives a visual representation about your topic and really enhances your article overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jaiganesh! I enjoy your constant use of metaphors in your blogs! This post resonated with me, as I, too, have faced the struggle of fitting in. Throughout my childhood, concealing my true self had become second nature. I wasn't so much being fake, as I was simply masking my quirky, loud extraverted side. People began to recognize me as the "shy," quiet girl. I guess in fear of being judged and rejected, I had built this protective barrier. As I matured, however, I began to feel this sense of emptiness and a lack of authenticity. It finally occurred to me that if I had to go to such lengths to hide my genuine self just to be accepted, than perhaps, it simply was not my destined place, or in this case the right space. We all have our unique shapes and edges, and it's only when we embrace our individuality and find the spaces that complement our true selves that we can truly feel at home.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jayden Szeto - Week 3 - Nature and Identity

Liya Abil- Week 5- Land of the Free

Liya Abil- Week 8- Approaching the Holidays