Liya Abil- Week 2- Two Pieces of a Puzzle

 For the majority of my life, I have been learning Bollywood and Bharatanatyam dance simultaneously. Bollywood is an entertaining dance form which requires an immense amount of energy, power and pure enjoyment. On the other hand, Bharatanatyam is much more spiritual and rooted in the Hindu religion, so the style of dance is very sturdy and sharp, while also being graceful. There is also a lot of storytelling which requires unique hand gestures and facial expressions. 


When people learn this about me, they often ask which dance form I enjoy more. This is an extremely challenging question because each dance form comes with its own set of positives and negatives but I find myself in a state of peace while doing both. 


From an external view, the two look to be completely different things in terms of movement and music but they have so much more in common than what meets the eye. Finding the rhythm of the dance, the use of excessive facial expressions, and the amount of practice and dedication are things that both forms require. 


The two dance forms compliment each other well and help me improve and excel in both. The sturdiness that I learnt from Bharatanatyam was very helpful in being sharp while having energy in Bollywood. The excessive facial expressions that I learnt to do in Bollywood have taught me how to emote for storytelling in Bharatanatyam. 


These two dance forms have shaped me into the person that I am today and therefore, I would not be able to choose the one that I like better. Doing one dance form makes me appreciate the other so much more. The energy in Bollywood makes me long for the calm in Bharatanatyam and vice versa. Bharatanatyam and Bollywood are deeply rooted in me and fit together perfectly, like two pieces of a puzzle.






Comments

  1. Hi Liya, your interest in both Bharatanatyam and Bollywood dancing is very interesting because most people I know who do classical Indian dance forms either choose one or the other, so doing both is really unique and shows your commitment! I used to do Bharatanatyam, and I can agree with you when you say that it is very rooted in spirituality and includes a lot of storytelling. Bollywood dance and Bharatanatyam are both very different from each other because of the different levels of energy and precision both of the dances require, which you mentioned in your blog. I can understand how doing one form of dance makes you long for the other, just like how when I play the piano I often long to play my electric guitar and vice versa because of the differences in both of the instruments. I hope you continue to enjoy doing both forms of dance, because even though they are both different they are both fascinating and require similar core skills. I like your description of performing both of the dances and how they fit perfectly like a puzzle, and this is one the best descriptions I have heard of both of the dances. Your article is also well articulated and interesting to read because of the personal anecdotes, and I hope you continue to add bright, colorful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall watching your dance performance during spirit week last year and also catching you in the Tufaan Berkley video, and your such a talented dancer, Liya!! Growing up, I dreamed of dancing. I think if it weren’t for soccer taking up majority of my free time, it would have definitely been a pursuit of mine. I can vividly recall watching episodes of "Dance Moms," envisioning myself as the one gracing the stage. I’ve always found dance as such an enchanting and powerful form of artistic expression. The way you describe Bollywood as requiring immense energy and pure enjoyment, while Bharatanatyam is more spiritual and rooted in tradition, showcases the rich diversity within dance forms. I can relate to your urge to have both Bharatanatyam and Bollywood like two pieces of a puzzle, as I too find a similar sense of balance in my passions for research and poetry. While they may seem like entirely different pursuits, both activities fulfill a unique part of my creative and intellectual identity. I find myself longing not only for the creativity and peacefulness in my own thoughts of poetry and writing but also for the rigor and excitement of research, much like how your dance forms complement each other in your life. Your perspective of finding peace in doing both highlights the idea that sometimes, it's not about choosing one but rather embracing the synergy they create in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liya! I've never really known a lot about Indian dances, and I think that your descriptions of each style of dance, with Bollywood being more energetic, and Bharatanatyam being more graceful were beautiful and concise allowing me to easily visualize each style of dance. I also like how, despite Bharatanatyam and Bollywood being two very different styles of dancing, you drew connections and pointed out similarities between the two styles of dance, such as how the dances both were heavily based on rhythm, how both use facial emotions, and how the differences and similarities made you appreciate each form of dance more. When you describe the dances as having a lot of storytelling, do you literally mean that the dances are a form of storytelling? I thought most dances were just dances for the sake of dancing, and I think the idea of using dancing as a medium of storytelling is surprising, but amazing. If so, what kind of stories do these dances depict? Also, does Bollywood refer to the cinema industry in Bombay, as well as the dance, or are the two very different things that just happen to have the same name? Your vivid yet concise imagery, as well as your usage of anecdotes makes your blog both informative and intriguing. I think that your passion for two heavily contrasting styles of dancing is both unique, and sort of picturesque in a way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jayden Szeto - Week 3 - Nature and Identity

Liya Abil- Week 5- Land of the Free

Liya Abil- Week 8- Approaching the Holidays