Emily Week #1 - The Reflection in the Mirror

 

From my childhood, all I remember is going to my white best friend’s house and his grandma feeding me mac n cheese and McDonald’s, the true American dream. But that wasn’t all I was.

I remember one day during 6th grade, I looked into the mirror and stared at my reflection; I was confused “Why did I look like that?” It is not like I grew up bullied or outcast for my race but I was so disconnected from my culture that I simply didn’t understand what made up the reflection in the mirror. 

The only time I would celebrate my Chinese heritage was during Chinese New Year but as the years passed my family stopped celebrating it as fully as before. The festivities went from New Year’s dinner, making and eating dumplings together as a family while watching the Chinese New Year's spring festival to just eating dumplings my mom made by herself. Despite the lack of influence from my parents to teach me the ways of the Chinese, I never grew to hate my culture; although I was a little too indifferent about it. I was just Chinese. 

The word meant nothing to me until I got enrolled in my Saturday Chinese classes. In those classes, the teachers taught you not only how to use the Chinese language but also how the culture works, making sure to have activities that required you to ask your parents more questions about your heritage and to share it with the class. Through those lessons, I learned more about my background and other ABCs’ heritages. I started looking forward to coming to class and talking about my culture. As the years passed I slowly rooted myself into the identity. And by graduation, I could look in the mirror and proudly say that I am Chinese. 


* ABC stands for American Born Chinese 

Comments

  1. Hi Emily! It's funny how all you remembered from your childhood was just you eating mac n cheese and MacDonalds. I could not relate to that because the first time I ate the Kraft brand for mac & cheese was in maybe 8th grade? You could basically say that I was not living the American dream. When you looked into the mirror, what confused you? Was it skin color, height, eyes, etc. You said the only time you would celebrate your Chinese heritage was when you celebrated Chinese New Year. Did you ever celebrate Mid-Autumn festival or Lantern festival? Anyways, it's great that you are looking forward to coming to class and talking about your culture, and proudly acknowledging yourself as Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I really like your description of mac & cheese and McDonald's as the "American Dream". It provides some comedy, and establishes a casual tone for the rest of the paragraph, making it straightforward and easy to read. When I was in elementary school, I had a similar situation. I knew that I was Chinese, but I had never really cared about what being Chinese actually was. However, over time, my appreciation for my culture grew. I think that it is great how you learned about your heritage through Chinese class.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jayden Szeto - Week 3 - Nature and Identity

Liya Abil- Week 5- Land of the Free

Liya Abil- Week 8- Approaching the Holidays